Jack looooveessss these pancakes! Let's be honest, I do too! They are super simple and filled with lots of nutrients (especially during this COVID-19 craziness)
Let's get right to it...
Yields 12-14 pancakes
- 2 bananas
- 1.5 cups gluten free oats (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 cup coconut kefir (I use President's Choice Organic version)
- 1 tbsp chia seed
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seed oil
- 2 tsp spirulina powder
- Optional toppings: blueberries, hemp seed + camu camu powder
1. Mix together all the ingredients (except the topping ingredients- you can if you want though!) until well combined
2. Next, cook pancakes on a pan with either coconut or avocado oil. Follow the same rules with regular pancakes, and flip once the edges start to brown or the tops bubble. You should cook each side for 1-2 minutes depending on your stove
3. Let cool for a few minutes + serve! I cut them into squares and top with frozen blueberries as it helps cool them down and it is soothing for his (never ending) teething (he is at 8 teeth now). Top with whatever you would like but see below for why I added certain ingredients into these pancakes!
Why these ingredients?
- Coconut Kefir- this is a great food source of probiotics and helps nourish the good bacteria in his digestive system and replace the bad. Yes, there is such a thing as good bacteria!
- Oats- make sure you choose gluten free! This is easier for them to digest and full of fibre and protein
- Spirulina- one of my favourite superfoods! Everyone should be consuming this! It is a green algae (sounds appealing, I know) but it is a super green that has so much chlorophyll, and nutrients packed into it
- Chia Seed- full of good fats for your brain, digestion + cells! Also fibre too!
- Pumpkin Seed Oil- this is also a new addition to our nutrition roster as it is FULL OF ZINC! Which is amazing for your immune system and keeping you healthy!
- Camu Camu Powder- this is a new one for us! My naturopath suggested using this as a source for Jack because it is SO high in vitamin c! We have been using it too!
- Blueberries- Jack lovessss blueberries (if you have seen my Instagram stories, you know that!) and they are also full of vitamin c. Because he eats so many, I buy the organic frozen ones from Costco or Loblaws and let sit out a bit before he consumes. Or like I mentioned earlier, mix with warmer pancakes to balance eachother out. They are definitely messier, but thats ok! He has so much fun
Please let me know if you have any questions!
Stay healthy my friends! XO